Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Today is a new week in San Francisco. I have had many thoughts this last week, missing people, where I fit in, places I need to grow, my family, Iowa State, and even just silence. But the number one thing I have noticed while being out in California is I need to find home out here. Now, I know 99% of the people that are reading this are thinking "NO!!!! You need to come back to Iowa!!!!!", well yes, you are right, but all in good time.

I need to find a center out here. My family isn't here, my college isn't heard of, it's hard to take long bike rides, running isn't quiet or 'my own time', work is not work, conversations are much different, friends are only superficial, and worst is there is no silence where I can here myself think. The things that have kept me grounded for the last 5 years (and even longer) are not actively in my life anymore and I can start to feel the pressure. I need to find grounding out here, a home, something that I can love in my life.

My good friend once told me 3 things. Just 3 things kept him grounded in his life. No matter where he was, what he was doing, or where he was going, just 3 things. Prayer, Community, and Thankfulness. Three simple and yet extremely complex things. He told me that over the years you change a lot and to have that grounding allows you to stay focused and with Christ.

First off, Prayer. To have a personal prayer life. To take time out of your day and just pray to God about anything in your life. This gives you that personal time in the day where you can really focus on the things that matter.

Second, Community. He called it friends, but I like the term community better. I think he called it friends because he even saw his family as his friends and loved their company. But his main point with this one is create a network (or community) of people that will define you, challenge you, and most importantly, will be there for you. Because We all struggle, and those friends will be there for you because, you would be there for them. Having friends is hard work. Well, having true friends is hard work. He told me to make time for them, no matter how busy you are. Stay up until the wee hours to get your work done so that you can have those close conversations, laugh, pray, and love together.

Lastly, Thankfulness. We, as Americans are extremely blessed and we need to thank God for all the joys in our lives constantly. To have a family to love you, to have friends that will be there for you, to always know that you will have a place to stay if you just ask, and to know that you will probably never know what real hunger is.... These are the things we need to be reminded of and be thankful for constantly. Waste not want not. These are the things you do not want to waste in your life.

I feel like I'm not good at these three things, but I respect and love the friend that told me these and I will continue to try and find grounding in them.

Below are a few pictures from last week and Labor Day! Enjoy!
We went to San Jose to my roommates house and enjoyed the beach over the weekend.

Vincentian Service Corps!

We learned how to skim board. Long story short it hurts.

My roommate after a long weekend.

Went on a fun ride with the ladies and a few of my roommates. Definitely a highlight of the weekend.

Our beautiful San Francisco beach!

We stopped to get a hot dog at the local vendor in Golden Gate Park. Almost like a Super Dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment