Sunday, September 23, 2012

General Colin Powell at Dreamforce

Have you heard of Saleforce? I had known about the company, but that was about it until this last week. I first wanted to know more when I realized the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were playing 2 blocks from where I volunteer last Wednesday night. At this point I figured I should see what this company is all about. I think it was an interesting conference, but I think I learned most from it by listening to a man by the name of General Colin Powell.

Colin Powell  was the first African American to serve as the Secretary of State under President Bush. Just knowing this, was enough to decide to listen in on his speech during the major keynote at Dreamforce. He was accompanied on stage by Jeff Immelt CEO of GE and of course Mark Benioff CEO of Salesforce. I found that Jeff had a lot of good ideas and thoughts, but I really felt like Colin Powell's thoughts were a lot more meaningful to the human condition.

First off Powell's thought on technology were extremely interesting to me. An older man that has done so much without the use of todays technologies. A man who has seen so much good, bad, and pathetic with technology. Powell's view was simple though, if it helps use it. He was not against technology at all, as long as it strictly was used at a catalyst for a bigger cause such as creating jobs, liberating people, or helping a team. He talked a bit about technology, but what really got me listening was he thoughts and views on leading, presenting, progress, life's purpose, and loyalty. Every thought that came from him was focused on one thing, people. It wasn't based on the US, money, culture, or even popularity; it was based on people and nothing else. Some of the quotes that really struck me when he was talking were:

  • Think of people first
  • Think about your audience before your presentation, before you even make your first slide
  • Think, 'how can I help my team?'
  • What is your purpose in life?
  • Be ready to throw over your shoulder a great idea because it actual just sucks [for the greater cause]
  • Pursue something bigger than you
He allowed me to really think about how important people are and how you go about your actions. "Pursue something bigger than you," he was talking about teamwork at this point and explaining that devotion to your team rather than you personal gains of the team is more important because your impact on the world will be much greater. 

General Colin Powell expressed that he has a favorite word and I couldn't agree more with his choice: Inspire

As always here a few pictures from my recent adventures!
You can find all the pictures Here.

 A great sight from the Golden Gate Bridge!
 Can you say great sunset??
 I went on my first "long" bike ride last weekend. I made it 33 mile and then got a flat tire and had to take public transportation back. But on my adventure I came across the San Francisco National Cemetery. It was an unbelievable sight to say the least.
 At the center, there was a huge flag that was just an amazing sight at the top of the hill.
 While riding back on my adventure I found a crazy awesome location where couples have weddings. Personally I would have mine in a church, but this sight was absolutely amazing!
 Wednesday I went to a Giants game for free. Pretty cool!
 Dreamforce. A conference focused on Salesforce. This was just cool advertising on these stairs if you ask me.
 There was a whole outside concert the whole day on a beautiful sunny day!
 Look its me! The board I am next to was a digital spray paint board.
 Did I mention I got into the conference for free? And then I found a beer garden.... for free.
 This was the major keynote that I went to. The room was packed, it was soo huge!!
 General Colin Powell speaking
So after the conference I asked a conference staff person if there was anything going on after the last keynote and he looked into his little guide and told me that there was a whole bunch of after parties around the area. So I went to a club close by the conference center and while waiting I realized this was a gathering for partners of Salesforce and VIPs only. I was tired and decided if they didn't let me in (I just had a generic free pass) I would just go home...... well friends they let me in! My guess is because I was one of the first people the the bounces weren't sure who to let in.  Nonetheless, they had free drinks, food, appetizers, and lots of networking. It was a enjoyable time to say the least. Below you will find some of the pictures of the food that was there. MMMMMMMMMMM








No comments:

Post a Comment